Issues with “libmicrohttpd” Used -lmicrohttpd . Will ask Sean why this worked. I found the line in the main Makefile but I still dont know where the library is.
Finally got the code to make. Working on playing sound using audioengine package.
Started Interim report. Focused on background sections. Read info on D-Bus, potential experiemnt with GLib and D-Bus and then GLib and XBMC’s D-Bus.
Spend today chassing down the various libraries used by XBMC to get my “playsound” experiment to compile.
Had problems finding libhal library.
Found in /usr/lib .
Using the .so files instead of .a files as they link together more easily.
- Problem where functions in utils cant be called.
The order of -lLIBRARY_TO_INCLUDE is important.
- General Problem that every time I include a new library It leads to including 4 new ones — I’m at 13 and counting.
Started first draft of the background for the Iterim report.
Yesterday I had a meeting with Sean and we dicussed some of the technical issues and the interim report. The short term development goals are to get all the proper libraries to play the sound attached.
Interim Report Due date :
- The interim report is due on Friday 11th of February.
- I want to have a relatively completed report by 4th February.
Background (6 pages)
- XBMC Background
- Communication Protocols(Jabber,.., etc)
- Why not Skype (Skype kit limitations )
- Our experimentation with python scripts and the limited use of dbus.
- XBMC structure
- Main entry point in XBMC
plan (2 pages)
- Find main entry point for XBMC
- Get playsound working
- Draft Backgound.
Spent time getting all my progress so far working in the virtual machine for meeting with Sean. Also researched and feel that I am missing something fundamental with the linking of the libraries.
G++ has complained about a lack of windows specific files even after including the -DLINUX flag. I have not discovered why this is the case. Use D_LINUX instead of DLINUX
- Getting undefined references even thought the the correct .h files and libraries are included. — This is probably due to incorrect inclusion of the libraries at the linking stage.
- Issue with ffmpeg posted here
At my last meeting Sean set up a basic makefile for me and directed me to use the AudioEngine(AE) library. This involved including a number of .h files and including the library in the linking state in the make file.
The Goal: play a wav file using the AE library.
- G++ has complained about a lack of windows specific files even after including the -DLINUX flag. I have not discovered why this is the case.
- Getting undefined references even thought the the correct .h files and libraries are included.
Still struggling with the two problems.
Learned how to use grep to find some examples of use of the AE in the XBMC source code. Found some examples but copying them doesn’t work which leads me to believe that the makefile options im using might be wrong.
Okay exams and break are finished so I thought id write a quick update of what did and didn’t get done during the past two months.
First, I got a simple IM client working in XBMC using python that can send and receive messages using gchat and xmpppy .
The rest of the time has been spent trying to implement some basic VoIP functionality and reduce potential risks in the project.When trying to understand how to play audio in XBMC initially i looked at the SDL (Simple DirectMedia Layer) multimedia framework in XBMC but after some research and advice from members on the forums it appears that AudioEngine is the way to go.
Unfortunately there does not appear to be any microphone support in XBMC so I will have to implement this. Video chat needs to be investigated further also.
I have been writing a simple c program that can play a sound using the libraries from XBMC. This has involved using make files and c libraries.
I have been trying to get a few telepathy-python programs working on ubuntu with the aim of eventually integrating them into a XBMC script.
I am using telepathy-python but documentation is lacking so I have been reading up on telepathy-dbus which telepathy-python sits on top off.
I have had some luck with getting the telepathy-python examples running and developing a few of my own. However, at the moment I am using the Channel Dispatcher and not Mission Control. Getting an example working with Mission Control is the next logical step.
Other Useful Links